Thursday, October 13, 2011

Satya


On Thursdays I teach a vinyasa 715 am, work 9-530, then teach beginners 730pm class.
It's tiring.  Not the teaching, but the work day sandwiched between classes.  My girls aren't thrilled
about me teaching an evening class, but the calling is there and I'm in the state of believing it will
work itself out.

Most weeks, as I grow in my practice, I try to find a word or something higher to bring into my class.
For me, I have a bigger fear in sharing my spiritual side than teaching asana, so I do my best to bring my
language in the forefront..at least in my mind.

This morning as I was glancing through Yoga Journal, I read their featured article on Tree Pose. 
I liked how they brought Satya into the description.
Satya means truth.
Unchangeable truth.

So, as I spent my day running this word through my head, I discovered it was easier to speak about satya in the evening than the morning class.  In the AM, I had just read the article.  It needed time to marinade in my brain. By tonight I felt better in my sharing of the word. The concept.
I didn't get totally into it---I may soon, but I realized that the body is not satya.
The mind is not satya.
Only the spirit, connected to higher, is truth, unchangable truth--along with 'god'...whatever that may be.

I also began class asking them to think of something they are proud of within themselves. 
We spend so much of our time trying to get better at this or that. Faster. Quicker. Skinnier.
When we already have so many things we are excellent at...what we are holding as truths to ourselves.
I liked that.
I like setting intentions too--but that sometimes points out the less than positive traits we think about within ourselves.
We're awesome people.
Maybe you rock at washing the dishes.
Maybe you sing in the shower beautifully.
There are qualities we should love about ourselves and share readily.

In satya.
love.
Om


2 comments:

  1. i like to readt that too, my practice is slow actually

    ReplyDelete
  2. most days i practice slowly and hold poses longer too :)

    ReplyDelete