Saturday, May 11, 2013

Stepping into the rain



I was waiting for my bedroom paint to mix to it's correct sea foam color in a big-box store when I heard it.
The sound of either the store collapsing or a downpour.

The paint guy made a joke.
"Now on sale, umbrella's."
And we both laughed, well - I smiled with a small laugh.

I got my paint, knew I had a few more items to look for when I realized
I was wasting time.
I was waiting for the rain to quit.
Or at least turn into a spring mist.

And when I could waste no more time and spend no more money, that's when I heard a soft voice say, "sometimes you just have to get wet."

I knew it was time.
It was time to walk to the cashier, pay and accept what was going on in the outside world: rain.

I pushed my cart to the tippiest dry spot I could and knew I couldn't go any further.
I didn't have anyone waiting to get my car for me.
I didn't have a magical portal to home.
I had to get wet.
And then I thought, since when do I care?

So, I smiled as I raced my cart to the car and unloaded my next home project - in the rain.

As I was driving home I thought about how I tried to wait the rain out and how often do we do that?  How often do we waste time trying not to get wet or messy or deal with change?  How often do we stay in one place because stepping into the rain is just too messy?  Our hair might get wet...our clothes wrinkled...our plan - ruined. 

Sometimes you just have to accept, yes I am going to get wet.  I can't stay in this big box forever.  Sometimes you have to step into a puddle before you can get dry....sometimes you have to get messy, before you get clean.

So, as you step into your day, step onto your mat -- are you just dipping your toe to only get a little wet or do you accept the downpour that happens when you start living. 

Rain nourishes the earth.
Waters the soul.
Play.
Get wet.
Grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment