Monday, January 23, 2012

Slowing down my back

My practice this week has been very altered.

My lower back has been overly stretched, which takes TIME to heal. I know this.
I would tell students, friends and strangers...give yourself time--let yourself heal, but personally, I discover a spot of impatience with myself and time.
Being "hurt" is when I am reminded of how I depend upon my physical body to
emotionally and spiritually deal with my day.
Deal with my time.
My space. 
My body.
And then I realize, how often I go through my day physically incorrectly.
I rarely bend my knees when I pick something up or even put on my shoes,
so I suppose this is a good reminder I am not indestructible or 20 years old.
I was officially 39 1/2 yesterday. Still young, but thankfully--not that young. 
I am celebrating this time, this age by moving forward playfully. Consciously. And trying to develop a gentler mind approach with myself.


So, this morning as I was slowly working through an online practice,
I realized how helpful modifications really can be.
Doing mainly a vinyasa practice, I flow between down dog and standing poses often, which I have struggled with all week.


The first time this happened was during my YTT a year and half ago, but not from yoga--well, possibly yoga--naked time yoga. No details needed other than between all the actual yoga I was doing and a healthy romp, caused me to overstretch my lower back. It took a few weeks to heal, but it did--and now, here again--I'm overstretched.


This time though, it's a symbolic overstretch that is physically manifesting itself.
I am aware that as a well loved, single momma of three divine daughters--that works as a full time librarian and part time yoga sharer, I am spread thin.  And my back wants to wake me up.  
It's shouting slow down.
Take it easy.
Stand still.


So I open my practice this week to slowing down.
Standing in the moment.
Listening in meditation.


Om.

2 comments: